In fact that title is a tad facetious, however I actually didn’t anticipate this a lot performance out of what at first appeared like a distinct segment product.
The Really Right Stuff PG-01 Pano-Gimbal Head has a couple of completely different design choices or add-ons to select from. It will possibly include both an everyday flat base or a built-in leveling base, a screw knob clamp or a lever launch clamp for attaching to Arca Swiss-style plates, and an optionally available RRS MPR-CL nodal slide for eradicating the parallax impact with most wide-angle lenses on a mirrorless physique. Relying on the configuration you select, the worth ranges from $240 to $435. For this specific evaluate, my precise configuration is the leveling base choice with screw knob clamp and the extra nodal slide.
Developed for mirrorless cameras or lighter DSLR setups, the Actually Proper Stuff PG-01 is each a panoramic and gimbal head with an eight pound load capability. As a panoramic head, the RRS PG-01 options full 360-degree engraved markings on the swinging base. Likewise, the vertical arm additionally has 360-degree engraved markings on the rotating digital camera mount. Collectively, it’s lifeless easy to attain repeatable outcomes capturing single-row or multi-row panoramic photographs. Earlier than performing a panoramic sweep of pictures, look within the viewfinder or on the LCD display in reside view and decide what number of levels it’s good to transfer the digital camera and lens for every picture. You’ll want to account for not less than 20 to 50 p.c overlap in order that the post-processing sticking software program has sufficient info to place every part collectively precisely. With the levels of motion in thoughts, you’re free to repeatedly create panoramic photographs at will with out even having to take a look at something aside from the engraved markings.
As a gimbal head, RRS suggests not utilizing it with telephoto lenses bigger or heavier than the standard 70-200mm f/2.eight, nevertheless I used it with a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II USM with — largely — success. At no level throughout sticks-to-the-ground use did I believe the 100-400mm was an excessive amount of lens for the PG-01, nevertheless I discovered that choosing up the tripod and transferring with the digital camera and lens hooked up would pressure the clamping energy of the leveling base and it wouldn’t maintain tight that a lot weight. The Canon 100-400mm II is barely barely heavier than the Canon 70-200mm f/2.eight III — zero.three kilos — so I’m going to imagine it will occur with 70-200 as effectively. Should you’re the sort of one who likes to only choose up every part and carry it as is, it could be a greater choice to go together with the flat non-leveling base because it wouldn’t have this failure level. The flat model has an Arca Swiss-style dovetail on the base which implies it could connect proper onto a ball head (after you are taking it again out of the trash, sorry) to regain that leveling functionality and sure a a lot stronger maintain for carrying.
With an L-bracket, the PG-01 also can function an everyday, horizontal body tripod head as effectively. My preliminary response to this is able to be “why?”, however after attempting it out it’s truly a very nice method to work with a single-frame panorama scene. After locking the digital camera to the PG-01 and leveling the bottom, I appreciated having impartial vertical and horizontal panning actions to essentially nail a composition. In case you are a believer within the mantra of slowing down your course of and considering by your compositions, this is a superb enabler for it. And if in the long run I spotted that it could be good so as to add a bit of additional picture to the perimeters, effectively I used to be already in place and able to go together with a pano head.
What I Appreciated
- Though it takes a bit of additional time to get it arrange, it’s general a straightforward course of that doesn’t require instruments. Engraved millimeter numbered markings can velocity up placing it collectively if its positions are famous for the subsequent time.
- The included hex wrench magnetically attaches and tucks away so it’s all the time with me. Whereas the pano gimbal head itself doesn’t require any instruments to assemble, the bottom has a small gap to stay the wrench in and tighten it down if wanted, or for securing a tripod plate to the digital camera.
- Has tight gliding friction when turning the top, metallic knurled knobs, easy rounded edges all through; every part tactile when utilizing it seems like a premium piece of drugs.
- Dovetail base for quick swapping of tripod heads. The non-leveling base model will be mounted straight onto a ball head to get again the leveling functionality.
- Engraved markings make every single-row or multi-row panorama sweep an simply repeatable course of and takes nearly all the hassle away from making a panoramic picture set versus a single photograph. As the sunshine would change in my scene, making one other sweep of pictures was no sweat.
- I’ve come to essentially benefit from the three-step impartial means of framing single exposures even over utilizing a ball head. I can take into consideration my compositions and modify them in clear degree horizontal and vertical actions reasonably than loosening a ball head and all axes unlock directly. If within the second I determine that I would like a bit of additional on the perimeters or vertically, it’s no additional work including extra scene to my pictures for the reason that panoramic functionality is all the time able to go.
- Its general versatility was shocking. I’ve used it to seize panoramic pictures, single body photographs, and as a telephoto lens gimbal. With the nodal slide and abundance of markings, I wager you will get away with fundamental macro focusing rail sort actions too.
What May Be Improved
- A extra compact method to preserve the items bodily grouped when disassembled.
- Flat base may match higher if planning to make use of as a gimbal head for telephoto lenses in any respect. The leveling base is the weak level when carrying tripod with gear mounted.
Maybe with no shock to Actually Proper Stuff’s religious following, the PG-01 Pano Gimbal Head is a top quality piece of drugs not just for these fascinated with stepping up their panoramic photograph recreation, however as a do-it-all tripod head.